We want to see your photos that best tell the story of Aug. 21, 2017, the day of the Great American Eclipse. Show us the spectrum of emotions, the crowds, the traffic jams, the street corner doomsayers, the revelers and the moments that will remind us what it was like the day the sun disappeared over America.
Judges will select the best photos to appear in Chasing the Great American Eclipse, a photo book that will document the day’s extraordinary events.
The winner of best overall image will receive $500, with the winners in two categories each receiving a $250 reward. Winners and a select number of runners up will appear in the hardcover book that is expected to be published in December. This will be Focus on the Story’s second documentary photo book — the first, UnPresidented, which chronicled the tumultuous Trump inauguration, was published in April.
For this book, we expect to capture the excitement, humor and drama that’s going to happen the day of the eclipse. While we will have a team of photographers in different cities across the U.S., we can’t be everywhere. That’s why we’re hoping that you’ll join us in this project. Yes, we want cool images of the blacked-out sun, but, more than that, we want compelling images that tell what was happening in the communities in the path of the eclipse, as well as those areas outside of “totality.”
Best Overall Image: $500
Best Documentary Image: $250
Best Landscape/Cityscape Image: $250
Runners Up: Publication in Chasing the Great American Eclipse. All winners and runners up will receive a copy of the book.
This book project will launch Aug. 20 on Kickstarter!
Contest Closes September 4
Winning is as Easy as This
Shoot photos that tell the story of the day of the solar eclipse — what’s happening in the sky and on the street.
Enter as many images as you like at $5 per image, judges will determine which category your image will be entered into.
Best overall wins $500 and winners of landscape and documentary categories win $250 each.
Winners and runners up appear in a photo book, which is expected to be published in December.
Terms and Conditions
- Images must have been taken on or around Aug. 21, 2017 in the U.S.
- You may submit as many images as you like at $5 per image.
- Images can be submitted beginning Saturday, August 29 and ending Monday, September 4, 2017 at 11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time (EST)
- Images with watermarks will not be considered.
- Images should be at least 4000px on the long side with a resolution of at least 300 dpi.
- Submitted images should be named LastName_FirstName_#. Example: Doe_Jane_1, Doe_Jane_2, etc.
- Images submitted that do not meet the size and resolution requirement may be disqualified. At their discretion, editors may contact select entrants to resubmit their image(s) at the correct size and resolution.
- By entering this contest, you attest that you have full authorization to consent to the publication of submitted images i.e. you took the image and own the copyright.
- You attest that you are 18 or older.
- The winning entries will be selected by the editors of Chasing the Great American Eclipse and their designees. Cosmic Smudge Media will award $500 to the image chosen as “Best Overall” and $250 each to the winners of the “documentary” and “landscape/cityscape” categories. The decision of the judges is final and binding.
- Entrants remain the owner of all rights to submitted images, including all copyrights.
- If selected for publication in Chasing the Great American Eclipse, you grant Cosmic Smudge Media a royalty-free, irrevocable license to publish your image(s) in Chasing the Great American Eclipse and to offer Chasing the Great American Eclipse for sale in both domestic and foreign markets. The license shall extend to any subsequent print runs of Chasing the Great American Eclipse or any derivative works provided that the date of publication of such print runs or works occurs within five years from the end of this contest.
- You waive any right to bring any claim against Cosmic Smudge Media on the ground that its use of your images constitutes an infringing or otherwise unauthorized use under the laws of any jurisdiction in which your photographs are published under this license.
- Cosmic Smudge Media maintains the right to cancel publication of Chasing the Great American Eclipse if the eclipse triggers a world-wide cataclysmic event of Biblical proportions, or if, in the opinion of its editors, there are an insufficient number of qualified images submitted. Such a decision will not effect the award of other prizes.
- Winners will be announced and notified on or about Tuesday, Sept. 12, 2017.
- By submitting your image(s), you agree that Cosmic Smudge Media may promote your work on websites and social media networks, and you grant Cosmic Smudge Media the right to use your submitted image(s) in promotional materials related to this contest, including the quarterly Focus on the Story magazine. All images used in this way will be duly credited to you and when possible will include a link to your relevant social media account. Cosmic Smudge Media will not use your images in any other manner than described in this paragraph and paragraph #12 without your express consent.
- By submitting images to this contest, you acknowledge that you have read and understand the terms and conditions of this contest. You also agree to receive occasional emails from Focus on the Story, which you may unsubscribe to at any time.