Call for Entries:
Summer in the City
Our Summer Street Photography Contest
We want to see your best images that interpret the contest theme, “Summer in the City.” Be creative, dramatic or funny — or all of the above. Just be sure to tell us a compelling story in a single image.
There are no restrictions on when and where you took the photo (it can be outdoors or indoors) but entries should be unposed. How you interpret the theme is up to you. Our judge for this contest is internationally-recognized street and documentary photographer Chris Suspect.
First place earns a $500 cash award and two runners up will win $250 each. The winners will also be featured in our inaugural, quarterly magazine to be published in the fall, as well as inclusion in an exhibit at the Focus on the Story International Foto Festival in Washington, D.C. in March 2018. (At the editors’ discretion, a number of honorable mentions may also appear in the magazine and/or exhibit).
Contest closes Sunday, July 30, 2017.
Fame and Fortune Are Just a Few Steps Away
Shoot unposed images that interpret the theme, “Summer in the City.”
Enter up to 5 images per $15 entry. Enter as many times as you like.
Win a $500 grand prize; Two runners up will get $250 awards each.
Winners appear in our magazine and in a spring photo exhibit.
Chris is a street and documentary photographer from the Washington, DC area. His work has been recognized internationally and has been exhibited at various venues in the U.S, Germany, Belgium, Georgia and the United Kingdom. His documentary work on the underground music scene in Washington, D.C., was published as a book, Suspect Device, in 2014. Chris’ work is held in the Leica Galerie Archives and the Washington, DC, Public Library Archives. He has won numerous photography contests, including the 2016 FotoWeek DC and StreetFoto San Francisco. He has served as a judge for the Miami Street Photography Festival, the Brussels Street Photography Festival and the World Street Photography Photo Book Competition. Since 2012 he has been a member of the STRATA photo collective and is currently a member of WorldSP.co. You can see more of his work on his website, Suspect Device.
Terms and Conditions
- You may submit up to five images with each $15 entry. Images will be judged individually, not as a series. You can enter as many times as you like.
- Images can be submitted beginning Saturday, July 1, 2017 at 12:01 AM (EDT). Submissions close on Sunday, July 30, 2017 at 11:59 PM (EDT)
- Images with watermarks will not be considered.
- Images should measure no longer than 4000px on the longest side.
- Images submitted that do not meet the size requirements may be disqualified. At their discretion, editors may contact select entrants to resubmit their image(s) at the correct size.
- By entering this contest, you attest that you have full authorization to consent to the publication of submitted images i.e. you took the image and own the copyright.
- You attest that you are 18 or older.
- The winning entries will be selected by the editors of Focus on the Story and/or their designees. Their decision is final and binding.
- Entrants remain the owner of all rights to submitted images, including all copyrights.
- You waive any right to bring any claim against Cosmic Smudge Media on the grounds that its use of your images constitutes an infringing or otherwise unauthorized use under the laws of any jurisdiction in which your photographs are published under this license.
- By submitting your image(s), you agree that Cosmic Smudge Media may promote your work on websites and social media networks, and you grant Cosmic Smudge Media the right to use your submitted image(s) in promotional materials related to this contest, including the quarterly Focus on the Story magazine. All images used in this way will be duly credited to you and when possible will include a link to your relevant social media account. Cosmic Smudge Media can not use your images in any other manner than described in this paragraph without your express consent.
- Winners will be announced and notified on or about Friday, Aug. 11, 2017.
- By submitting images to this contest, you acknowledge that you have read and understand the terms and conditions of this contest. You also agree to receive occasional emails from Focus on the Story, which you may unsubscribe to at any time.